Moderator Control Panel ]

A word on glass sealants

You got to give the interior of your car some love to, so what we using then to keep them super tidy, discuss it here.

A word on glass sealants

Postby PiP » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi guys,

I will probably be preaching to the converted as I am sure the pros are all aware of this so I apologise if this is obvious to many!

During the development and testing of our anti-fog glass cleaner, we have had quite a few issues from those testing and we have finally concluded what is causing them - glass sealants.

Glass sealants are intended for exterior use, they modify the surface so that they are hydrophobic such that the water beads up and runs off when the air hits them. Great. Now, what causes fogging? Water vapour hits a surface and forms little beads. Normally we have a situation that the beads remain pretty flat and it takes quite a large amount of water vapour before they become big enough to be visible (and you thus see fog). Reverse a little bit and think what a sealant does - it encourages beads. Thus a surface sealed with a water repellent will be dramatically more prone to fog formation.

We would not expect the use of sealants on interior (automotive or otherwise) surfaces for this very reason so had not really factored it in but it has become clear that there is rather a tendency for detailers to go a bit nuts with their products so we know of some windscreens which are almost impossible to keep demisted and an endless number of shower enclosures and mirrors which become almost opaque as soon as the shower or bath is run! The trouble with this is that these surfaces are almost impossible to 'wet' uniformly, as is required for cleaning. Try cleaning them and you have to keep wiping until all the product is dried off else you get spotting and smearing. Try applying an antifog product and the antifog component just beads up with the rest of the product and is unable to wet the surface (i.e. it doesn't work!). Worse still, many water repellent/sealants are damned near impossible to remove short of abrasive polishing!

So the summary is not to apply glass sealants to anything interior unless you understand the consequences. Let me tell you that your wife might well say "that's nice dear" when you show her the water running down the shower enclosure but she will almost certainly have a lot more to say when the mirror becomes non-functional! Worse still, apply it to your windscreen interior and you will probably have to get the glass taken out! So beware!
PiP

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A word on glass sealants

Postby James » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks for sharing ;) good advise
James

Postby Classic Details » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Sound advice indeed.
Mobile Car Valet and Detailing in Gloucestershire
Berkeley Stroud Thornbury Dursley Tetbury Nailsworth Cirencester Gloucester
Classic Details

Postby japanipor99 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:03 am

Good advoice and information . thanks for sharing with us .
japanipor99

Return to Interior & Glass